National Medical and Dental College Admission Test
The National Medical and Dental College Admission Test (MDCAT) is a standardized test administered in Pakistan for admission to MBBS and BDS programs in public and private medical and dental colleges. The test is conducted by the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC).
To be eligible for the MDCAT, students must have passed the FSc (Pre-Medical)/HSSC or equivalent 12th grade qualification with at least 60% marks in aggregate, including Biology and Chemistry.
Test structure and scoring
The MDCAT is a multiple-choice question (MCQ) test consisting of 200 questions. The test is divided into five sections:
- Biology (68 questions)
- Chemistry (54 questions)
- Physics (54 questions)
- English language (18 questions)
- Logical reasoning (6 questions)
Each question carries 1 mark, and there is no negative marking for wrong answers. The total score for the test is 200.
The passing marks for the MDCAT are 60%, or 120 marks out of 200.
Admission to medical and dental colleges in Pakistan is based on a combination of the MDCAT score, FSc marks, and matriculation marks. The weightage for each component varies from province to province.
Test dates and registration
The MDCAT is usually conducted in September each year. The registration process for the test typically begins in July.
There are a number of resources available to help students prepare for the MDCAT. These include books, online courses, and practice tests. Students can also find helpful tips and advice from past test takers.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips for success on the MDCAT:
- Start preparing early. The MDCAT covers a wide range of materials, so it is essential to give yourself plenty of time to prepare.
- Create a study schedule and stick to it.
- Use a variety of study resources, such as books, online courses, and practice tests.
- Form a study group with other students to help each other learn and stay motivated.
- Get enough sleep the night before the test and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the test.
- Stay calm and focused during the test.
The MDCAT is a challenging test, but it is possible to achieve a good score with hard work and dedication. By following the tips above, students can increase their chances of success on the MDCAT and gain admission to their desired medical or dental college.